Tuesday, May 06, 2008

VOTING IN THE PRIMARIES....


This morning I left the house at 6:15. Polls opened at 6:30 and I had to be at work by 7:30. There was no line, I was there 15 minutes tops. No complaints right? No I have complaints.

This was the first primary that I have ever voted in. I could have voted in two others but I just didn't care at the time. I did have a few issues with the process and in general.

*They didn't require my ID.
When grandma finally found my name (5 minutes) she
pointed right at it and asked what my address was. I
personally can't think of a more sure fire way to verify
my claim to be myself then asking me my address while
pointing at it. Any Tom, Dick, or even Harriet could vote
with my name by simply being able to read English. If my
address were in Spanish that would open up another can
of worms.(I know my address would be the same in Spanish)

*You have to vote straight ticket.
Now this in no way pertained to me but....Lets say there was a viable third party candidate running for President. If I wanted to vote for him or her(probably not a her) then I would be unable to vote for any other offices. It would be President and Bond Referendums.
*What does my religion have to do with it?
I am registered Unaffiliated or UNA. This was highlighted so that they would know to ask me which party I am voting for. "None of your frigging business" I said, no not really. When grandma read the UNA she said "I'm sorry I need to ask someone about this" what I said. You are a Unitarian, no I'm Baptist but I am registered Unaffiliated.

*All the volunteers could have voted for Truman.
I have no real point here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up. I had the same grandma at 7:15pm--bless her heart.